Share this page:

Sunday 28 May 2017

The Voice of Fear Can Never Win

Dear Voice of Fear,

You're not winning. I just thought I'd point out that fundamental fact.

In this thing we've named 'the war on terror', I reckon, right now, the judges are probably sneaking a look at their watches and hoping no-one's pilfered their sandwich from the staff fridge.

Because it's obvious. No matter what happens, we will keep on living.


It's not that we don't care about the tragic effects of these cowardly endeavours, because we do. But it's the fact we care that makes us so strong. 

You're like a tick on the belly of a faithful dog. You're trying with all your might to suck out it's life force, but that dog will carry on fetching that ball, and chasing that pigeon, and farting gloriously in it's sleep.

We're still going to work, still getting that Friday night chip shop fix, still running our businesses, still celebrating marriages and births. Still plucking up the courage for those first date kisses and regretting last night's curry. Still shaking a fist at the car that cuts us up in traffic. Still mowing our lawns and planning our holidays and moving house and selling old clothes on Ebay.

This isn't just British spirit, this is the spirit of humankind. Ready to rally, ready to help, ready to put aside selfish needs and call on that fighting grit waiting deep down in our gut (because it's always been there). Ready to roll up our sleeves, dust off that stiff upper lip and say 'I'm not having this'.

I cannot imagine how those who have lost loved ones are feeling. And if I do try to imagine, I'm brought to my knees by sadness and grief.

But at the same time a dozen other feelings raise me up: pride, respect, hope, love.

Your mission is flawed. It was flawed from the beginning. Because you didn't have a clue what you were up against. You're digging a diamond mine with a teaspoon. You're peeing in the proverbial wind.

Meanwhile, we're supporting friends going through tough times, we're celebrating at Nana's for her birthday (even though she said she didn't want a party), we're making the kids breakfast so our partner can lie in, and we're holding our little ones in the tightest of embraces. That's love for you.

I know which camp I'd rather be in.



Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Run Jump Scrap!

13 comments:

  1. Just love this - so heartfelt and a two fingers up to the haters, because for every one of them there are thousands of lovers and really really good people. So tragic that we are living in a world where these heinous crimes go on but I've written a post saying we will carry on and let our children live life to the full, without fear. #triumphanttales

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have summed this up perfectly. We are all so determined to let love prevail. We may fall but we will not lay there for long! Im so chuffed about the concert that was announced today with so many artists showing support and Eminem has raised nearly £2 Million for those affected. It wont bring them back, but it will make life a little bit easier financially, whilst sticking it to those who only think bombs are the way to prove points!
    Thank you for sharing this with us at #TriumphantTales. I hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right fear cannot win, we won't let it. It so hard for the families who have lost loved ones, my heart aches for them. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant! You have put in to words how we are all feeling about the recent tragic events. We will not be broken.
    Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fear cannot win and we can't let them win either! I can't imagine what people who have lost are going through :-( glad you are fighting strong though. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so proud of the way people have pulled together. Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  6. I love this post. It's so very true, I know we cannot let fear win but at the same time I'm a lot more conscious of keeping my boys away from London if I can avoid it just because I'm terrified something might happen to them. I still carry on commuting to London but for the time being I'm keeping the boys away. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard with children to know what's best to do. Thanks so much for commenting x

      Delete
  7. Well said. It's a very strange feeling, carrying on whilst a devastating attack has just happened. We have no other option though. As Brits, a cup of tea and carry on is almost our motto.

    My sincerest sympathies to all those affected by the attack. I live in dread that it may one day be me or mine that's involved. Just hope it isn't. I'm not one for praying.

    Thanks for linking up.
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete