Share this page:

Sunday 10 July 2016

5 Things I Hate About You

5 Things I Hate About You

I hate the way you make me cry.
My makeup runs, but I know why.
The pride within swells up, and so
I guess it's that which makes me glow.

I hate the fact I get no sleep,
I lie awake with thoughts that keep
Me worrying that you're OK.
Yet you're sound asleep, a world away.

I hate the fact I cannot drink,
It makes me stop and sigh and think:
I have to be up, there's just no point
And the parenting job should be joint.
Fair's fair I guess, and anyway,
Morning's the best time of the day.

I hate that my clothes are forever a mess,
With snot or paint or beans, and yes
The paint is fun, the cold is not
So I should, perhaps, forgive the snot.
And how do you learn, but through play?
I can't just make you sit and stay.

I hate that I have to be grown up,
No more spontaneity, worse luck.
Since the window showed that line
My life has been no longer mine,
Because I share it now with you
And must do the things I have to do.

But I've learnt something I must express,
The love and joy and tenderness,
That comes from sharing life with you.
It builds me up, each moment new.
And now the truth is clear as day,
All that's left for me to say,
When all's said and done, the big and the small,
I don't hate you that much, or even at all.




A Mum Track Mind

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I could never craft a poem, a limerick is a major challenge for me. Motherhood is tough, but you express it so well though your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem. I think that we are feel this way about Motherhood. It's not easy and we wish for better, but at the end of the day we are bringing little people into the world which bring us so much joy. Thanks for linking up at #fortheloveofblog. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented.Such a great poem and sums up what most of us feel being mums #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete