Monday, 20 June 2016

Long distance longings

Noone can say they understand the impact of a long distance relationship until they've been through it themselves. I'm going through it right now.

Calm your horses, I'm not talking about romantic love now but a different kind all together, the love I have for my parents.

They live 200 miles away in North Wales where I grew up. They still live in the house we moved into when I was three. I went to the same highschool they did. They got married at the local church. Dad's piped up the garden like Crystal Maze to save on water and he's not yet met the payback on his solar panels. I think it's a given they're unlikely to move any time soon.

It was my choice to move away. I had met my boyfriend (now husband) and saw my future with him. But that doesn't mean I don't miss them ferociously. Skype helps but it's not the same.

I envy friends when they talk about taking the baby out for a coffee with their Nana and Grandad. And when I've had a shit night or am feeling poorly, Mum and Dad always know what to say to perk me up. I know I'm supposed to be a proper grown-up now I'm married and have offspring and stuff, but deep down I'm still their little girl.


And it's obvious how much they miss little O and baby R. Whenever Dad visits, little O is ecstatic with excitement. They are united in their love of tractors and digging holes. And Mum could cuddle the crap out of anyone, so as long as she gets a squeeze, she's happy. They have a great relationship with their grandchildren, which is one of the things I worried about, but needn't have.

The one thing I do know is that no matter the distance, if I really needed them, they'd be here in a flash, regardless of whether they could get a good deal at Travelodge or not.

Now I'm a mother I really understand the love that they must have for me. Before you've experienced it yourself you think you know what it is. You liken it to the nearest, deepest love you can think of, but it's still actually nowhere near.

Would my mum put her life before mine? Absolutely. And I know this because I would do exactly the same for little O or baby R . It's a consuming, never-ending and incomparable love. And that's why I miss them.

Hmm, I feel a Skype session coming on...



Run Jump Scrap!

7 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely post. I live just down the road from my parents, and I honestly couldn't imagine living anywhere else. We are currently thinking of moving and the main criteria is that I must be close to my family. Even if we don't always get on, or don't see each other often, it's nice to know they are there if we ever need them. It sounds like you still have a great relationship with them though, despite the distance #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. Bless you. I can only imagine how hard it must be. My Mum & Dad are on the doorstep and I see them most days. I'm very lucky. My Mum was very poorly last year and had to have chemotherapy so it really brought home just how precious they are. I hope you get to see them again soon. #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me feel sad! I don't know what I would do without my Mum as she is close and I see her weekly. So glad modern technology allows the contact and I always think to feel the way you do your relationship must be amazing. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. I imagine if you are close to your parents being such a huge distance apart, must at times be heartbreaking. Hope you enjoyed your Skype session, but I also hope you get to visit them soon #bestandworst x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah thanks for the comments guys! Yes it is hard sometimes, especially when I'm feeling down but it does make the times they visit that bit more special xx

    ReplyDelete